Thursday, January 1, 2009

I suspect that I have sleep apnea, but I live in Yemen. Other ways of diagnosing it

I suspect that I have sleep apnea, but I live in Yemen. Other ways of diagnosing it?
There is no Sleep Center in Yemen.
Other - Health - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Have another person listen to your sleep and have them look for periods of intrrupted breathing. It won't be an official evaluation but at least you'd have some idea. Another small clue is if you happen to fall asleep regularly as soon as you lay down to rest.
2 :
Bill has it on the head there is no other way than to have someone else observe you while you sleep, and simply write down or tape record the observations! No one can self diagnoise this other than he is not feeling up to par. This can be caused by other medical conditions also such as a twitching leg keeping you from true sleep! I lived for 59 years without treatment! I am now 61 and I swear I feel 40. Sleep apnea simply means stopping breathing more than so many times, for a specific length of time, during a given period of time. If you have apnes then you go to sleep but never really go into what is called REM sleep where your brain really gets its rest! For probably the past 40+ years I really was not truly sleeping! I denied that I had a problem, I really wasn't that tired. But, my wife finally convinced me. This is where an OBSERVER COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE ! (SOMEONE TO OBSERVE YOU AND RECORD YOUR SLEEP, NOTE SOUNDS UNUSUAL BREATHING CESSATION OF BREATHING NUMBER OF TIMES AND LENGTH THIS SHOULD BE GIVEN TO YOUR DOCTOR FOR EVALUATION AND POSSIBLE PRESCRIPTION ) She deserves a gold Star, Probably a Congressional Medal of Honor! I am a Hard Headed 61 year-old. She no doubt has saved my life and no words will ever be able to thank her enough. After all I WAS ASLEEP. ALL WAS OK AS FAR AS I WAS CONCERNED!!! How do I know what quality sleep I encounter, when I am asleep! In the "usual" cases apnea is caused by blockage of the airway. This blockage is caused frequently by the collapse of the airway thus a positive air pressure is applied to "inflate" this airway. A Constant Pressure Air device CPAP is prescribed. It will furnish air at a specific pressure measured in inches of water that will be / or is usually prescribed from a sleep lab session. The pressure in inches of water, where your brain goes into REM pattern on the EEG. This is the ideal pressure! This is the minimal pressure required to hold the passages open. In mine it was 10 inches of water pressure I was told by the technicians that was quite a nominal pressure. I would Kiss the ugly, meanest person, if I had to, to keep my CPAP machine, I LOVE IT !! I really have gained back at least 20 or more years. I honest to goodness wanted the darn thing NOT to work BUT IT DOES!!! I SWEAR IT DOES !! IF YOU CAN POSSIBLY GET ACCESS TO ONE TRY AND GET ONE! THIS THING IS A MIRACLE MACHINE! If your doctor indicates that it would really help you surely there is a way! There are Pillows and devices that hold your jaw open but I am not familiar with those but they are prescribed here in the States for certain types of apnea. OH YEA I ALSO HAD A LEG TWITCH THAT THEY DISCOVERED DISTURBED MY TRUE SLEEP! THAT WAS FIXED WITH ONE PRESCRIPTION PILL TAKEN BEFORE BEDTIME! I WISH YOU LUCK. IT MIGHT BE WORTH A TRIP TO ANOTHER COUNTRY IF YOU DO NOT GET THE RESULTS YOU SEEK! AGAIN WISH YOU LUCK, DO NOT GIVE UP, GET SOMEONE TO HELP YOU. SWEET DREAMS !!!!!! APS

Search News